History

Motto of Stanisław Smolka: “Wise, inspired was the idea to keep one of the most beautiful works of Emigration, associated with memory of Adam Czartoryski, Niemcewicz, Mickiewicz and so many others, to enter a new life into it, and to turn it into Polish science centre, intermediating between the Country and a great European movement.” Stanisław Smolka, Academy of Sciences in Cracow 1873-1893, Cracow 1894

 

Significantevents

1795 Polish third partition by Austria, Prussia and Russia - Poland loses sovereignty
1830-1831 November Uprising - beginning of the Great Immigration to France
1832 Foundation of the Literary Society and the Scientific Society
1833 Adam Mickiewicz's call to "civilized peoples" to create a Polish library in Paris
Foundation of the Polish Library in Paris
1853 Placement of the Polish Library in the 17th century building bought by Polish immigrants located at 6, quai d'Orléans on the Île Saint Louis in Paris
1854 Foundation of the Historical and Literary Society
1855 Death of Adam Mickiewicz
1866 Napoleon III’s decree according a status of public utility institution to the Historical and Literary Society
1872 Foundation of the Academy of Sciences (AU) in Krakow
1893 Acquisition of the Polish Library by the AU under a decree of the previous year of Emperor Franz Josef I and
Foundation of the Scientific Unit of AU in Paris
1918 Poland’s resumption of independence
1919 Transformation of the AU into the Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences (“PAU”)
1925 Inauguration of the French Institute’s activity in Warsaw
1927 Foundation of the Polish Library and the Scientific Centre in Rome
1935 Foundation of the Centre d'Études Polonaises in Paris
1945 First attempts to nationalize and reform the PAU according to the formula of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR
1946 Resolution of the General Assembly of the Polish Academy of Sciences to separate the PAU, the Polish Library in Paris and the Scientific Centre in Paris because of a conflict between the Polish emigrants and the new communist authorities in Poland
Appointment of Professor Stanisław Wędkiewicz as Director of the Scientific Centre in Paris
1947 Signing of the Convention on intellectual cooperation between the Governments of the French Republic and the People’s Republic of Poland
1948 Publication of the first issue of Bulletin Station, edited by Professor Stanisław Wędkiewicz
1949 Granting permanent seat at 74, rue Lauriston, Paris 16e to the Scientific Centre
1951 Adoption by the Parliament (Sejm) of the People's Republic of Poland the act on a national scientific institution under the name of the Polish Academy of Sciences
1952 Appointment of the first 148 members of the Polish Academy of Sciences (including ProfessorStanisław Wędkiewicz) by the President of the People's Republic of Poland
1955 Official acquisition of the Scientific Centre in Paris by the Polish Academy of Sciences 
1966 Signing of the Polish-French agreement on scientific cooperation
1972 Official take of the possession and administration of the buildings at 11-15, rue Lamandé in Paris 17e
1978 Celebration of the 85th anniversary of the Centre
1989 Democratic elections in Poland
1993 Celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Centre
1998 Ceremony organized at the Centre to award an honorary doctorate from the University of Wrocław for Jerzy Giedroyc